It all started in 1998 when I was starting my first project experiences, at that time with Navision. Even then, the topic was if changes to the master data of customers are, or should be allowed in documents such as order, invoice, etc.?
24 years later .. damned, 24 years later .. I can’t believe I’m writing this right now, it’s still a hands-on topic in the current version of Dynamics 365 Business Central.
In between are various solutions such as
- Changes possible
- no changes possible
- Add-ons with possible changes and updates
We should also take notices of: For some time now, the field “Sell-to-Customer Name” was updated with a lookup feature
Meaning: If I enter a value, the filtering of the customer list usually starts.
All these things summarized brings us to the current feature:
The administrator should decide whether changes in the documents to the customer’s name are allowed or not. We explain how to do this in this video:(German – English subtitles)
My practical tips based on the experience of the last 24 years
- it should not be an administrator decision
- Define business cases that are affected by this function (e.B cash sales, offers,.. )
- Discuss the effects of changes if this function is used for classic customers (Master Data Management ERP/CRM)
- Make a decision
- Inform users about the impacts
- Feature Request(s) to Microsoft (https://experience.microsoft.com) to implement this for purchasing
- Do not change regularly